ANN ARBOR, Mich. - A day after securing a spot in the upcoming Mid-American Conference Tournament, the Miami University field hockey team dropped its final non-conference game to 15th-ranked Michigan, 3-0, on Sunday afternoon. It was the RedHawks sixth contest against a ranked opponent this season. Miami is now 9-9 on the season, while the Wolverines improve to 11-5.

Michigan was on the attack early, earning several penalty corners and getting the majority of the offensive attacks. RedHawk goalkeeper Sarah Mueller came up big however, making eight saves in the first 20 minutes to keep the game scoreless. After Anna McQuaid made a defensive save in the 22nd minute, a foul was called that awarded the Wolverines a penalty stroke. Mueller once again came up big, kicking Leslie Smith's shot aside. It remained tied at zero until Smith would score on a penalty corner in the 27th minute to send Michigan into the break up, 1-0.

On a turnover in the 45th minute of the second half, Rachael Mack would score to make it 2-0. She would add another goal in the 61st minute to complete the Wolverine's scoring. Miami would turn on the offensive pressure in the final minutes earning five consecutive penalty corners. Olivia Miller would get two shots on net, while Sid Marcum, Emily Gruesser and Ali Froede would each get one, but the RedHawks would be unable to cash it in before the clock ran out.

Michigan outshot Miami, 22-8, for the game. The RedHawks held the Wolverines to only six shots in the second half after allowing 16 in the first half. Mueller had a huge day in net making 12 saves, while Gruesser led Miami with three shots. Michigan held an 11-6 advantage in penalty corners.

The RedHawks will look to earn a share of the MAC regular season title and clinch the number one seed in the MAC Tournament when they host Ohio in the regular season finale next Saturday at 10:30 a.m. The game is also senior day and at the conclusion of the contest a ceremony honoring Miller and Addie Absher will be held.