CINCINNATI, Ohio -- Indiana spoiled the season opener for Miami Tennis Saturday, winning all nine matches for a 7-0 victory over the RedHawks. The match was played at Western Tennis and Fitness Club in Western Hills.
Christiana Raymond was the only RedHawk to capture a set during the match, opening her No. 2 tilt with a 6-4 win in the first set. After dropping the second set by a similar score, she came up just short in the super-tiebreaker, 10-8.
Indiana, ranked 49th in the ITA preseason poll, swept through the doubles action, losing just four games total. The Hoosiers (1-0) won 8-1 at No. 1, 8-3 at No. 2 and 8-0 at No. 3. In singles play, Miami jumped ahead early in the most of the matches, but IU proved too powerful for the RedHawks. The Hoosiers won six matches in straight sets, including a pair of 6-0 decisions.
Miami (0-1) returns to action next Saturday when it travels to Louisville to face the Cardinals. The RedHawks return to Western Hills on Sunday, Jan. 27 for a match against the Cincinnati Bearcats.
Tennis Match Results
Indiana vs Miami
Jan 19, 2013 at Cincinnati, Ohio
(Western Tennis and Fitness Club)
No. 49 Indiana 7, Miami 0
1. Leslie Hureau (INDIANA) def. Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) 6-2, 6-1
2. Alecia Kauss (INDIANA) def. Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Katie Klyczek (INDIANA) def. Alix Thurman (MIAMI) 6-1, 6-2
4. Sophie Garre (INDIANA) def. Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) 6-4, 6-0
5. Shannon Murdy (INDIANA) def. Ramona Costea (MIAMI) 6-4, 6-0
6. Jithmie Jayawickrema (INDIANA) def. Chloe Heerden (MIAMI) 7-5, 6-3
1. No. 31 Sophie Garre/Leslie Hureau (INDIANA) def. Christiana Raymond/Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) 8-1
2. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (INDIANA) def. Nimisha Mohan/Alix Thurman (MIAMI) 8-3
3. Katie Klyczek/Gabrielle Rubenstein (INDIANA) def. Ramona Costea/Chloe Heerden (MIAMI) 8-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,1,5,4,6,2)
match played at Western Hills Tennis Club in Cincinnati
Official: Steve Peterson T-3:07 A-75