FARMVILLE, Va. – A dominant team performance by the Miami University field hockey squad led the RedHawks to a 6-1 neutral site victory over Radford on Sunday. Five different Miami players scored, led by senior forward Alyssa Logan with two goals. The RedHawks improve to 1-1 on the season, while the Highlanders fall to 0-2.

“Today was about our ability to be loyal to RedHawk hockey,” said senior back Sid Marcum. “We had to be consistent with our concepts as a program, and be disciplined and composed.”

Miami outshot Radford, 26-1, on Sunday keeping play in its attacking zone the majority of the time. When the Highlanders were able to mount an offensive attack, the RedHawks were able to thwart it without a shot being placed on senior goalkeeper Sarah Mueller.

Miami got on the board in the fifth minute when junior midfielder Gabby Goldach put a backhand shot past the goalkeeper from about the penalty stroke line. The RedHawks wasted no time making it 2-0 when junior forward Valentina Neira sent a pass across the goal that Logan was able to tip in.

Radford was able to cut the deficit to 2-1 in the 28th minute when it scored on a penalty corner. It looked like it would be going into halftime with that score, but Miami was able to earn a penalty corner of its own in the final seconds. On the corner, junior forward Emily Gruesser passed it in to junior back Ali Froede. Froede sent it back to Gruesser, who put it home to send the RedHawks into the break in front, 3-1.

Sophomore midfielder Bea Dechant made it 4-1 in the 43rd minute on a penalty corner when she scored off an assist from Neira. In the 48th minute, Dechant found Logan on the right side of the net. Logan tipped the ball in for her second goal of the day. Miami completed its scoring in the 52nd minute when Froede scored on a penalty corner off an assist from Long.

Gruesser led the RedHawks with five shots, including four on goal. Logan and Goldach had four shots each. Miami had a 10-2 advantage in penalty corners.

“Today we showed what type of character we have,” said Froede. “After a slow first half, we came out a completely different team in the second half and were able to control the game, keep possession and use every player on the field. We worked for each other on offense and defense, and that was the key to our success.”

The RedHawks remain in Farmville, where they will take on host Longwood Monday at noon.