LEXINGTON, Ky.—Miami University’s football team dropped a 41-7 decision at the University of Kentucky in Commonwealth Stadium on Saturday afternoon. The Wildcats improved to 1-1 on the season, while the RedHawks moved to 0-2.

Kentucky quickly jumped out to a 17-0 lead. The Wildcats scored their first touchdown just under two minutes into the game off a Jalen Whitlow 9-yard run. With Kentucky threatening with first down on the 4-yard line, Miami staged a strong red-zone stand and forced the Wildcats’ Joe Mansour to kick a 22-yard field goal at the 7:58 mark of the first quarter. Kentucky took a 17-0 lead off a 48-yard touchdown pass from Maxwell Smith to Jonathan George at 5:54.

Miami put its first points on the board when senior linebacker Collin Boucher forced a fumble on a punt return at the Kentucky 6-yard line. Senior linebacker Chris Wade scooped up the ball and plowed into the endzone at the 3:20 mark of the opening quarter. Sophomore Kaleb Patterson’s extra point put the RedHawks within 10 points, 17-7.

Just over a minute later, Kentucky’s Smith hit Javess Blue on an 88-yard touchdown reception. Mansour’s PAT extended the Wildcat lead to 24-7 with 1:58 to go in the first quarter. UK tacked on one more touchdown in the first half, scoring on a Raymond Sanders 5-yard run at 10:10 in the second quarter. Mansour’s extra point handed the Wildcats a 31-7 lead, which they carried into halftime.

After a scoreless third quarter, Kentucky added 10 points in the fourth quarter off a 21-yard field goal by Mansour at the 14:15 mark and a 56-yard touchdown pass from Smith to Jeff Badet at 11:53 to push its lead to 41-7.

Senior defensive back Dayonne Nunley led all players with eight tackles, including a game-high seven solo stops.

Miami is idle next weekend before hosting Cincinnati on Saturday, Sept. 21 in the 118th meeting in the Battle for the Victory Bell. Game time will be announced next week. Check MURedHawks.com for the time update.

Notes vs. Kentucky

* Chris Wade returned a fumble for a six-yard touchdown in the first quarter, the first touchdown of his career. The last RedHawk to score via fumble recovery was Craig Mester versus Akron in 2007.

*Fred McRae had a career-long 32–yard punt return late in the second quarter. His previous-high was an 14-yard return last week at Marshall.