DALLAS – Coming off a loss on Saturday, the Miami University women’s tennis team defeated No. 75 SMU on Sunday to finish the weekend trip on a high note. Miami lost in the doubles portion of the match but was able to secure four consecutive singles victories to clinch the win.
“Today was a great win for this team,” said associate head coach Ricardo Rosas following the match win. “It was a team effort and a very committed group of young ladies that believed to the end and played to win. This win was just the beginning of what this team is capable of doing. We just need to continue to work hard everyday and continue to think big.”
In doubles action, Miami lost at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to give SMU the doubles point. The two teams did not finish the No. 3 doubles match since the point had already been won by SMU.
In singles action, senior Nimisha Mohan won at No. 1 singles, 6-3, 6-2 and freshman Andreea Badileanu won 6-2, 6-1 at No. 3 singles. At No. 5 singles, junior Ramona Costea won 6-4, 6-4 while sophomore Ana Rajkovic won 6-0, 6-3 at No. 6 singles.
The No. 2 and No. 4 singles matches went unfinished due to Miami having clinched the match victory. Badileanu’s win at No. 3 singles improved her team-leading record to 6-1.
Miami continues its string of road matches next weekend when they travel to Richmond for a 1 p.m. match against Eastern Kentucky on Saturday. The RedHawks return home on Sunday, March 2 for a 10 a.m. match against Marshall.
1. Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) def. Vaszilisza Bulgakova (SMU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Hristina Dishkova (SMU) vs. Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) unfinished
3. Andreea Badileanu (MIAMI) def. Yana Erkeeva (SMU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Dasha Sharapova (SMU) vs. Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) unfinished
5. Ramona Costea (MIAMI) def. Anna Kate Anderson (SMU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Ana Rajkovic (MIAMI) def. Macie Elliott (SMU) 6-0, 6-3