Thanks again to everyone for the positive feedback from yesterday’s blog. If you missed it, check it out HERE. As always, if there is something I need to be watching for send me a message and I’ll see what I can do. Below are just a few things that I noticed in the last 90 minutes of practice (missed the start of practice due to a meeting).
· It’s amazing how simple this sounds, but the assistant coaches love to coach. After nearly every play they are teaching technique. A perfect example was late in the morning when Sam Shisso made a nice sideline catch that resulted in a 20-yard play. Seconds later, wide receiver coach Bill Brechin mentioned that a better route would have resulted in a touchdown and worked with Shisso on the sideline for the next few reps.
· Maybe 15 minutes later, Shisso got behind the defense and came up with an incredible diving catch for 30-35 yards. It has only been a few days of camp, but Shisso seems to be catching on and could make an impact.
· I mentioned wide receiver Chris Hudson (6-6, 259) yesterday and today he did not disappoint. At one point he lined out wide and caught a jump ball between two defenders. Will be very interesting to see how coach Martin and his staff find a role for the big freshman.
· Those of you that saw this video (LINK) are probably already aware of Andrew Hendrix’s arm strength. I have seen him throw now in 17 practices and at least 2-3 times a day he will make a throw that is just incredible. Miami fans should be excited to watch him play in 25 days.
· On the defensive side of the ball, Jarrell Jones and Joe Donlan have been solid surprises. Jones played some cornerback last year and is competing at safety this season, while Donlan played tight end the last six games of 2013 and now has a chance to see significant playing time at linebacker.
· Sounds like the first steel beam for the Indoor Sports Center will go up on Monday (Aug. 11) afternoon.
· The RedHawks will put on shoulder pads in tomorrow's practice.