Miami Baseball (18-20, 8-7 MAC) Games 39-43
Tuesday, April 22 vs. Dayton • 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday, April 23 vs. Eastern Kentucky • 6:00 p.m.
Friday, April 25 vs. Toledo • 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 26 vs. Toledo • 3:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 27 vs. Toledo • 1:00 p.m.
McKie Field at Hayden Park • Oxford, Ohio
AROUND THE HORN
• The RedHawks have won their last five games, tying their season-long winning streak.
• Chad Sedio is batting .378 during his current 11-game hitting streak, bumping his average from .246 to .298.
• In 15 MAC games, the RedHawks’ starting pitchers have pitched at least 6 innings 14 times and posted 12 quality starts.
• Dan Walsh has recorded seven-straight multi-hit games and is batting .517 during that stretch.
Probable Starting Pitchers
Christian Bokich (Fr. RHP), 0-0, 4.00 ERA, 9.0 IP, 13 H, 14 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 10 K
Nick Gobert (Fr. RHP), 2-1, 10.35 ERA, 20.0 IP, 32 H, 23 R, 23 ER, 12 BB, 7 K
Seth Varner (Sr. LHP), 5-2, 2.85 ERA, 66.1 IP, 62 H, 26 R, 21 ER, 19 BB, 70 K
Ryan Wilkinson (Sr. LHP), 4-3, 2.82 ERA, 70.1 IP, 70 H, 22 R, 22 ER, 17 BB, 42 K
Nathan Williams (Jr. RHP), 3-5, 5.74 ERA, 58.0 IP, 66 H, 44 R, 37 ER, 23 BB, 37 K
Sam Shutes (Fr. RHP), 2-3, 4.40 ERA, 45.0 IP, 46 H, 24 R, 22 ER, 18 BB, 33 K
Kyle Slack (So. RHP), 3-4, 5.45 ERA, 38.0 IP, 42 H, 26 R, 23 ER, 18 BB, 26 K
Miami begins a nine-game home stand with a busy five-game week on Tuesday. The RedHawks host Dayton and Eastern Kentucky on Tuesday and Wednesday evening before taking on Toledo for a three-game MAC series Friday-Sunday.
ABOUT DAYTON (17-19)
• The Flyers dropped their last two games at St. Joseph’s over the weekend, which snapped a five-game winning streak.
• Miami won an earlier meeting with Dayton 8-4 in Oxford on March 14.
• Dayton has three regulars hitting at least .325, led by Robby Sunderman’s .379 clip.
• The RedHawks are 100-36-1 all-time against the Flyers.
ABOUT EASTERN KENTUCKY (17-19)
• The Colonels took two of three against SIU Edwardsville after falling to the RedHawks in midweek play last week.
• EKU has hit 32 home runs this season (10th in the country).
• Four regulars are batting over .300, with Bryan Soloman’s .336 mark leading EKU.
• Miami is 16-11 all-time against Eastern Kentucky.
ABOUT TOLEDO (15-22, 7-8 MAC)
• The Rockets are hitting .241 as a team (11th in the MAC), with Deion Tansel (.345) representing the only regular above .300.
• Ryan Wilkinson’s 2.82 ERA leads the UT rotation and ranks seventh in the MAC. He leads the league with 70.1 innings.
• The Rockets have dropped four of their last six games, but took two of three over Ohio last weekend.
• The RedHawks lead the Rockets 86-59-1 in the all-time series.
LAST TIME OUT: Miami went a perfect 4-0 with a road win at Eastern Kentucky (6-3) and a weekend sweep at Eastern Michigan 3-1, 8-2 and 9-7). The RedHawks are now on a five-game winning streak and are tied for sixth in the MAC standings with an 8-7 league record.
• In 15 MAC games, Miami’s starting pitchers have a 2.88 ERA.
• RedHawks’ starters have tossed 106.1 innings, averaging over seven innings per start in league play
• Seth Varner, Nathan Williams and Ryan Powers pitched at least six innings in 14 of Miami’s 15 MAC games.
• Senior infielder Dan Walsh has been a constant spark for MU, notching a team-high 19 multi-hit games while batting a team-best .367 (sixth in the MAC).
• Walsh’s 55 hits are the third most in the league.
• The senior has reached base at least once in 32 of 37 games this season.
• In MAC play, Walsh sits fourth in the league with a .433 average.
• Senior lefty Seth Varner has been a cut above the RedHawks’ starters since day one, notching a team-best 2.85 ERA in 10 starts.
• Varner has pitched at least five innings in all 10 starts, tossing six innings nine times.
• On Feb. 28, the senior carried a no-hitter into the eighth inning, eventually throwing eight shutout innings to post his first win at Davidson.
• Varner has struck out seven or more batters in seven of his last eight starts.
• The lefty leads all MAC pitchers with 65 strikeouts in 58.2 innings pitched. That total sits 18th in the country.
• Sophomore Gary Russo has provided thunder in the middle of the RedHawks’ lineup with a .317 average, 21 extra-base hits and 28 RBI in his first year on campus.
• Russo recorded a team-best 14-game hitting streak from Feb. 21-March 21, batting .414 with a .508 on-base percentage and a .792 slugging percentage during that streak.
• Russo’s six home runs ranks second in the MAC while his 80 total bases sit third among MAC batters.
NICE GOING ROOKIE
• Freshman second baseman Steve Sada has really come into his own as the year progressed. He is hitting .398 after beginning the year 1-for-18 in the first four games.
• Sada ranks in the league’s top 10 in average (eighth; .350), on-base percentage (sixth; .446) and slugging percentage (ninth; .476).
• In MAC play, Sada’s .444 average and .510 on-base percentage are second among all league players.