YPSILANTI, Mich. – Miami Women’s Soccer fired 25 shots against Ball State but couldn’t get one past goalkeeper Lay Schramm through regulation and double-overtime as the Cardinals won a penalty kick shootout, 4-2, Friday afternoon in the Mid-American Conference semifinals. The second-seeded RedHawks’ season comes to an end with a record of 11-6-4 overall and 7-1-3 in the MAC while sixth-seeded Ball State (11-6-4; 5-4-2 MAC) moves on to play in its first-ever conference championship game.

Miami became the second higher seed to fall in the semifinals as No. 4 seed Western Michigan defeated host and top-seeded Eastern Michigan by a 1-0 score earlier in the day. The Broncos and Cardinals will meet on Sunday to determine the MAC Tournament Champion.

The RedHawks controlled the pace for much of the game, outshooting Ball State, 34-9. Miami also sent more shots on goal with an 8-3 margin, but Schramm’s seven saves kept the Red and White off the field.

Miami’s defense limited the number of scoring opportunities the Cardinals had and the three shots that did find their way on goal were turned away by the ‘Hawks senior keeper, Allison Norenberg. The shutout added to Norenberg's school records for whitewashes in a season and a career with 11 and 23, respectively. It was Miami's school-record 12th of the year.

Senior captain Katy Dolesh took nine shots in the match while junior forward Kelsey Dinges accounted for seven of the team’s shots. Three Miami shots hit a post, including two off the crossbar. The RedHawks created offensive pressure, drawing nine corner kicks in the match to two for Ball State.

In the penalty kick shootout, Ball State converted each of its first two chances while Miami missed on the first two attempts to put the Cardinals ahead, 2-0. After a Ball State miss, senior midfielder Kayla Zakrzewski scored on her attempt to pull Miami to within 2-1 through three rounds. The Cardinals converted their next try before junior forward Kelsey Dinges successfully made her attempt to make it 3-2, Ball State through four rounds. Ball State then found the back of the net in the fifth round to seal it, 4-2.