Miami RedHawks (0-5, 0-1 MAC)
vs. UMass Minutemen (0-5, 0-1 MAC)
Game 6: Sat., Oct. 12 • 3 p.m.
Gillette Stadium (68,756)
Series vs. UMass: Miami leads 1-0-0
Series Streak: Miami - 1
Last Meeting: Sept. 22, 2012
Television: ESPN3 • TBA (PxP) and TBA (Analyst)
Radio: Miami Sports Network • Steve Baker (PxP), Tim Bray (Analyst), Terry Bridge (sideline)
RedHawk Quick Hits
• The Miami University football team is in its 125th season of football and has an all-time record of 668-415-44 (.612).
• Miami is coming off a 21-9 loss to Central Michigan last Saturday at home inside Yager Stadium.
• Don Treadwell was relieved of his duties on Sunday (Oct. 6). He was 8-21 in 29 career games at the helm of the Miami football program.
• Mike Bath will serve as interim head football coach for the remainder of the 2013 season. He was given the job on Sunday, Oct. 6.
• Miami will have four captains in 2013, voted on by their teammates. QB Austin Boucher, TE Steve Marck, DT Austin Brown and DE Wes Williams will serve as captains in 2013.
• Miami returns 47 letterwinners (20 offense, 23 defense and 4 special teams) and 16 starters (6 offense, 6 defense and 4 special teams) from the 2012 season.
• Miami leads the all-time series with UMass 1-0-0. The only other meeting was last season on Sept. 22, a game Miami won 27-16.
• Miami will feature a roster loaded with youth. The RedHawks entered the season opener with 12 seniors, 14 juniors, 23 sophomores and 51 freshmen.
Need To Know
• The RedHawks enter Saturday’s contest with a record of 0-5 overall and 0-1 in Mid-American Conference play, including a 21-9 loss to Central Michigan inside Yager Stadium.
• Following the loss, Don Treadwell was relieved of his duties on Sunday, Oct. 6. Treadwell was 8-21 in 29 career contests with the Red and White. He had back-to-back 4-8 seasons in 2011 and 2012 and was 0-5 to begin 2013.
• The RedHawks have lost nine straight contests dating back to 2012. Miami’s last win was Oct. 27, 2012 at home versus Ohio (23-20).
• Mike Bath was named interim head football coach on Oct. 6, 2013. Bath has been an assistant coach for the RedHawks for six years (two different stints), was a graduate assistant (2004-05) and a player (1997-00).
• Bath spent the past three seasons as the quarterback/wide receiver coach for Miami. In 2012 he helped coach Zac Dysert to nearly every Miami passing record known to man. Dysert would go on to be drafted by the Denver Broncos last April.
• Bath was also a decorated quarterback during his time as a player. From 1998-00 he posted a record of 23-10, while throwing for 6,524 yards and 49 touchdowns.
• In the Central Michigan contest the RedHawks had a 9-7 lead midway through the third quarter, but a pair of touchdowns for the Chippewas in a nine minute span doomed the Red and White.
• In the loss, red-shirt freshman quarterback Austin Gearing ran for a career-high 108 yards on the ground (15 attempts), while also completing the first two passes of his young career (10 yards).
• Junior David Frazier saw his first action of the season, recording a team-high four receptions for 66 yards and a touchdown.
• Linebacker Chris Wade continued his strong season, recording an interception versus the Chippewas. The senior has also recovered fumbles at Kentucky and versus Cincinnati this season.
• Kent Kern, starting for the first time in his career, leads the RedHawks with 50 tackles in five games. His average of 10.0 tackles per game ranks second in the MAC.
• Despite the 0-5 record, Miami is actually plus-5 in the turnover department this season. The RedHawks have thrown just three interceptions and fumbled once, while forcing three fumbles and intercepting six passes this season. Miami ranks fourth in the MAC in turnover margin.
Recent Head Coaching Debuts
Mike Bath will have a chance to break a streak that dates back to 1999 when the RedHawks travel to face UMass this week. The last head coach to begin his career with a victory was Terry Hoeppner in 1999.
2011 Don Treadwell L, 17-6 at Missouri
2009 Mike Haywood L, 42-0 at Kentucky
2005 Shane Montgomery L, 34-14 at Ohio State
1999 Terry Hoeppner W, 28-3 at Northwestern
When We Were Young
When Miami faces UMass on Saturday, they will do so with one of the youngest teams in the nation. Of the 100 players on its roster, 51 of those student-athletes are either freshmen or red-shirt freshmen. The entire roster is broken down below.
Run Gearing Run
• Backup quarterback Austin Gearing leads the team in rushing in 2013 with 248 yards on the season. The red-shirt freshman has posted back-to-back career-bests on the ground. Two weeks ago at Illinois Gearing had 81 yards rushing on 16 carries. This past week he ran the ball 15 times for 108 yards, which included a 48-yard run, Miami’s longest play from scrimmage this season.
Miami Player of the Week Honors
Miami has recorded three player of the week honors this season. Punter Zac Murphy has recorded two of the awards, averaging over 50 yards per punt versus Kentucky and Cincinnati. Senior Dayonne Nunley was named MAC East Defensive Player of the Week following the Cincinnati game, finishing the contest with 10 tackles, three pass breakups and an interception.