Miami Baseball (14-20, 5-7 Mid-American) Games 35-38
Wednesday, April 16 at Eastern Kentucky (17-19) • 6:00 p.m.
Turkey Hughes Baseball Field • Richmond, Ky.
Friday, April 18 at Eastern Michigan (12-21, 2-10 MAC) • 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 19 at Eastern Michigan (12-21, 2-10 MAC) • 3:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 20 at Eastern Michigan (12-21, 2-10 MAC) • 1:00 p.m.
Oestrike Stadium • Ypsilant, Mich.
AROUND THE HORN
• Miami is 2-5 in midweek games this season and is 0-3 against the Ohio Valley Conference (0-1 vs. Belmont, 0-2 vs. Tennessee Tech).
• Dan Walsh has recorded multiple hits in seven of his last nine games, batting .486 (18-of-37) in that span.
• Chad Sedio is batting .364 during his current seven-game hitting streak.
• In 12 MAC games, the RedHawks’ starting pitchers have pitched at least 6 innings 11 times and posted nine quality starts.
Probable Starting Pitchers
Wynston McMartin (So. RHP), 0-1, 6.38 ERA, 18.1 IP, 22 H, 13 R, 13 ER, 13 BB, 13 K
Brian Mroz (Fr. RHP), 4-0, 3.18 ERA, 22.2 IP, 21 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 8 BB, 12 K
Seth Varner (Sr. LHP), 4-2, 3.22 ERA, 58.2 IP, 55 H, 26 R, 21 ER, 18 BB, 65 K
Nathan Williams (Jr. RHP), 2-5, 6.53 ERA, 51.0 IP, 65 H, 44 R, 37 ER, 20 BB, 35 K
Miami heads to Richmond, Ky., for a brief midweek contest at Eastern Kentucky on Wednesday (6 p.m.) before heading to Eastern Michigan for a three-game MAC series over the weekend.
ABOUT EASTERN KENTUCKY (17-19)
• The Colonels have won three of their last four games entering the week, scoring at least nine runs three times in that span.
• EKU has hit 31 home runs, the 10th most in the country, this season.
• Four regulars are batting over .300, led by Taylor Blair’s .346 clip.
• Probable starter Brian Mroz is unbeaten in four decisions and has a 3.18 ERA.
• Miami is 15-11 all-time against Eastern Kentucky.
ABOUT EASTERN MICHIGAN (12-21, 2-10 MAC)
• The Eagles have dropped 10 of their first 12 MAC games, getting outscored 91-39 in league play.
• A total of 10 EMU pitchers have started at least one game, with only Jake Andrews (9 starts: 3.75 ERA) starting more than five contests.
• Eastern ranks last in the MAC with a 6.18 team ERA during conference play.
• The Eagles hold a 56-49 lead over the RedHawks in the all-time series.
LAST TIME OUT: Miami dropped two of three on the road against MAC East favorite Kent State over the weekend. The Red and White clawed back from a 2-0 deficit to tie the game at 2-2 entering the eighth, but KSU broke the tie with two runs to take Friday’s opner 4-2. The Golden Flashes scored 13 runs in the first five innings on Saturday to down the RedHawks 13-4. On Sunday, Ryan Powers (7.2 innings) and Charles Zubrod (four-out save) helped MU salvage the series finale as it topped KSU 6-4.
• In 12 MAC games, Miami’s starting pitchers have a 3.30 ERA.
• RedHawks’ starters have tossed 84.2 innings, averaging over seven innings per start in that time frame.
• Seth Varner, Nathan Williams and Ryan Powers pitched at least six innings in 11 of Miami’s 12 MAC games.
• Senior infielder Dan Walsh has been a constant spark for MU, notching a team-high 15 multi-hit games while batting a team-best .351 (eighth in the MAC).
• Walsh’s 27 runs scored and 15 walks are new career highs..
• The senior has reached base at least once in 28 of 33 games this season.
• In MAC play, Walsh sits fifth in the league with a .435 average.
• Senior lefty Seth Varner has been a cut above the RedHawks’ starters since day one, notching a team-best 3.22 ERA in nine starts.
• Varner has pitched at least five innings in all nine starts, tossing six innings eight times.
• On Feb. 28, the senior carried a no-hitter into the eighth inning, eventually throwing eight shutout innings to post his first win at Davidson.
• Varner has struck out seven or more batters in seven of his last eight starts.
• The lefty leads all MAC pitchers with 65 strikeouts in 58.2 innings pitched. That total sits 18th in the country.
• Sophomore Gary Russo has provided thunder in the middle of the RedHawks’ lineup with a .306 average, 18 extra-base hits and 26 RBI in his first year on campus.
• Russo recorded a team-best 14-game hitting streak from Feb. 21-March 21, batting .414 with a .508 on-base percentage and a .792 slugging percentage during that streak.
• Russo’s five home runs ranks second in the MAC while his 68 total bases sit fourth among MAC batters.
COMING AROUND: Freshman second baseman Steve Sada is starting to find his own after a slow start to the season. After beginning the year 1-for-18 in the first four games, Sada is batting a team-high .361 with a .477 on-base percentage and a .444 slugging percentage in his last 27 games (23 starts). He has drawn 16 walks against nine strikeouts in 72 at-bats during that span.
• Junior catcher/outfielder Max Andresen has helped balance out the middle of the batting order with nine multi-hit games.
• Andresen boasts nine extra-base hits and 17 RBI while batting .326 (.241, 6 XBH and 18 RBI in 2013).