April 21, 2012
MUNCIE, Ind. -- Miami swept all nine matches from Ball State, earning its fourth straight Mid-American Conference regular-season championship with a 7-0 win over the Cardinals. The win, the 33rd straight in league play for the RedHawks, gave the senior class a perfect 32-0 conference mark during their careers.
Miami (13-9, 8-0) jumped out early and never looked back. Riekie Honiball and Nimisha Mohan posted an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles before Christiana Raymond and Jessica Parr put the RedHawks up 1-0 with an 8-3 win at No. 3. The top team of Stephanie Danesis and Christine Guerrazzi completed the doubles win with an 8-4 triumph.
In singles play, Guerrazzi lost just one game at No. 6, posting a 6-0, 6-1 victory for a 2-0 lead. Shortly after, Alix Thurman won her 21st match of the year, 15th during dual play, with a 6-2, 6-4 decision at No. 5. Miami was guaranteed the outright league title when Mohan won her fifth straight match, 6-1, 6-3 at No. 3.
The RedHawks finished the sweep with wins by Raymond at No. 4 (6-2, 6-1), Danesis at No. 1 (6-3, 3-6, 10-5) and Honiball at No. 2 (6-3, 6-4). Danesis has now won eight matches in a row, all in conference play. Her two victories Saturday give her 153 in her career, tying her atop the all-time list at Miami.
Miami will look for a third tournament championship in four years this week when it competes April 27-29 in DeKalb, Ill. The RedHawks will face the winner of Thursday's first-round match at 10 a.m. Friday.
Tennis Match Results
Miami vs Ball State
Apr 21, 2012 at Muncie, Ind.
Miami 7, Ball State 0
1. Stephanie Danesis (MIAMI) def. Courtney Wild (BSU) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Riekie Honiball (MIAMI) def. Kristel Sanders (BSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) def. Kylee Johnson (BSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) def. Ashlyn Rang (BSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Alix Thurman (MIAMI) def. Sarah Hebble (BSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) def. Dena Boulieris (BSU) 6-0, 6-1
1. Stephanie Danesis/Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) def. Courtney Wild/Ashlyn Rang (BSU) 8-4
2. Riekie Honiball/Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) def. Sarah Hebble/Paola Rodriguez (BSU) 8-2
3. Christiana Raymond/Jessica Parr (MIAMI) def. Dena Boulieris/Lauren Pickrel (BSU) 8-3
Miami 13-9, 8-0
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,5,3,4,1,2)